Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Ex-IGP Gambo: Obasanjo Is The Reason Abacha Sacked Me


Nigeria's former Inspector General of Police, Alhaji Gambo Jimeta, has revealed that he was sacked by former Head of State, late General Sani Abacha as IGP because of his suggestion that political detainees including Olusegun Obasanjo, Gen. Shehu Musa Yar’Adua and others should be released unconditionally.



Speaking at the inaugural meeting of National Security Committee of the National Confab which he chairs, at the National Judicial Institute, the former IGP said he advised Abacha in the interest of the nation to release the political detainees but the former Head of State considered it a harmful advice. Jimeta declared that he is not working for anybody but for a better Nigeria, the present and unborn generations.
Surprisingly, he also shocked members of the committee, when he revealed that he had just learnt that the job of the National Conference is to write a new Constitution for Nigeria...
He said, “As the IGP then, I advised the former Head of State, Gen. Sani Abacha, to release the high profile political detainees like Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo, Gen. Musa Yar’Adua and four others, but he refused to do so and instead removed me.”

Gambo clarified in an interview with newsmen that as a delegate he is doing his duty as a citizen of Nigeria, and that “wherever there is a positive endeavour to find solutions to what is worrying the nation, I will gladly go and do it not because I am invited or whatever.

“Normally, I would have gone, that is why I am saying I am not working for anybody but for myself and my conscience and the wellbeing of my children and great grand children to come,” he stressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment